partlycloudy
Monday July 24th, 2017 4:28PM

How Hollywood's top stylist got Sarah Paulson out of sweats

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. (AP) — If Sarah Paulson didn't have a stylist, she would only wear sweatpants.

The silvery Marc Jacobs sheath she wore to the Golden Globes and the dazzling emerald dress she donned at the Emmys were picked out by a professional.

"My green Prada dress that I wore to the Emmys was so heavy that at one point I thought I was going to throw my neck out," Paulson said. "But it did not matter to me because it was the best dress I've ever had on my body."

Fresh off her SAG, Golden Globe and Emmy Award wins for playing Marcia Clark in "American Crime Story," Paulson is celebrating the woman who put together all those red carpet looks: Karla Welch, whom the Hollywood Reporter just named the industry's most powerful stylist.

Welch, along with Paulson and fellow red carpet standout Ruth Negga, appears on the cover of the magazine's special "Stylists & Stars" issue, which ranks Tinseltown's 25 top stylists.

"Good clothes open doors," Welch quipped when asked the best bit of style advice she ever received.

"I need her to push me out of my sweatpants and my sneakers," Paulson said Tuesday night at a Jimmy Choo-sponsored dinner honoring the magazine's sartorial stars. John Legend, Justin Timberlake, Dakota Johnson, Jonah Hill, Mary J. Blige and Mahershala Ali were among the well-dressed guests at the private party at The Ponte restaurant.

Though Paulson prefers leisurewear, she loves the ritual of getting ready for the red carpet. Having a spectacular dress to wear helps her achieve the right mindset for a million flashbulbs and screaming fans.

"A lot of people talk about it as being a kind of armor, and it is," she said.

Even with the help of Hollywood's top stylist, the actress said her love of sweatpants has led to some fashion regrets.

"It's not that I regret them. It's just that I know if I get photographed in them at the grocery store, I'll think, 'Oh (expletive). This is when I'm supposed to wear that jacket she told me to wear,'" Paulson said. "Then 800 people on Instagram are like, 'She's such a bum on her night off.' Really? I'm supposed to look fashionable when I'm going out to get half-and-half?"

Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at www.twitter.com/APSandy .

• Associated Categories: Associated Press (AP), AP Entertainment, AP Online TV News, APOnline Celebrity News
© Copyright 2017 AccessWDUN.com
The Latest: 30 people taken to London hospitals after fire
The London Ambulance service says 30 people have been taken to five hospitals after a massive fire at a high-rise apartment building in west London
1:37AM ( 44 minutes ago )
Rodman's N. Korea trip off to uncharacteristic low-key start
Dennis Rodman's visit to North Korea has been uncharacteristically low-key so far
1:36AM ( 46 minutes ago )
Kershaw wins, Bellinger hits 2 homers as Dodgers top Indians
Clayton Kershaw extended his unbeaten string and rookie Cody Bellinger hit two home runs, including a tiebreaking shot in the eighth inning off Andrew Miller that lifted the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 7-5 victory over the Cleveland Indians
1:27AM ( 54 minutes ago )
Rodman begins sightseeing on NKorea trip he hopes opens door
Dennis Rodman, one of the only Americans to ever meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, began sightseeing in Pyongyang after saying he hoped his trip would maybe "open a door" for Donald Trump
Kim Kardashian discusses fame, missteps at Forbes summit
Kim Kardashian West admits that she's made some mistakes in her life, but the important lesson is not to repeat them
Jury in Bill Cosby sex assault case adjourns without verdict
The jury has wrapped up a second day of deliberations without reaching a verdict in the Bill Cosby sexual assault trial
AP Entertainment
The Latest: Trump wants apprenticeships in all high schools
President Donald Trump says he wants every high school in America to offer apprenticeship programs.
Trump making case for apprenticeships to fill jobs gap
President Donald Trump is making the case for apprenticeships to spur job creation and help put people in jobs that often go unfilled
'The Daily Show' is unveiling the Trump Twitter Library
"The Daily Show" is unveiling the Donald J. Trump Presidential Twitter Library this weekend
AP Online TV News
Jury in Bill Cosby sex assault case studies his deposition
The jury in the Bill Cosby sexual assault case is studying his prior testimony as it deliberates charges that could send him to prison for life
Amid diplomatic contact, North Korea frees American student
An American college student, whose parents say has been in a coma while serving a 15-year prison term in North Korea, is released and evacuated as former NBA star Dennis Rodman began a visit to the reclusive country
The Latest: Bill Cosby jury wants police testimony read back
A jury considering sexual assault charges against Bill Cosby has asked for the testimony of the police officer who took accuser Andrea Constand's initial report
APOnline Celebrity News
The Latest: 30 people taken to London hospitals after fire
1:37AM ( 44 minutes ago )
Rodman's N. Korea trip off to uncharacteristic low-key start
1:36AM ( 46 minutes ago )
Kershaw wins, Bellinger hits 2 homers as Dodgers top Indians
1:27AM ( 54 minutes ago )
US college student released by North Korea home, but in coma
An American college student who was released from a North Korean prison is finally home but in a coma and undergoing treatment at an Ohio hospital
1:25AM ( 57 minutes ago )
Asian stocks lower after Wall Street gains
Asian stock markets lower after Wall Street; Investors await Fed's decision on rate hike
1:24AM ( 57 minutes ago )