CLEVELAND — A camper being used as a residence in White County was destroyed by fire Tuesday morning.
White County Fire, with automatic aid from Cleveland Fire Department, was dispatched to the fire, located behind Mossy Creek Grocery on Ga. 254, about 9 a.m., according to White County Fire spokeswoman Ana Newberry.
“Fire units arrived and found a 28-foot camper with smoke showing,” an email from Newberry states.
The fire was extinguished by fire department personnel, after neighbors were unable to put out the fire with an extinguisher, according to Newberry.
“An investigation was conducted and found that the roof air conditioner malfunctioned, which caused the living area to ignite,” Newberry’s email states. “The camper is a total loss.”
The occupants were not home at the time, and the American Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the them with immediate needs.
No injuries were reported.