CONCORD, N.C. - Jonathan Davenport decided on Thursday morning that he would make the four-hour trek from Blairsville, Georgia to Concord, North Carolina to The Dirt Track at Charlotte to enter into the second annual OneDirt World Short Track Championship.
It paid off with a victory and a $4,000 payday.
“I have to thank Blake Spencer and Letti Bozard for giving me this opportunity. Heath, his crew guy, called me and gave me this opportunity,” said Davenport. “I’m just glad to get back in one of these Longhorns and get the feel of it.”
Davenport joined the Fox Shox Pro Late Model division wheeling the No. 6 Revolution Racing-owned crate car. He commandeered the lead after pole-sitter Matt Long succumbed to issues with his radiator on lap 19. Long held a 1.854 second lead over Davenport before he was forced to call it quits.
“I think Matt was the class of the field there,” added Davenport. “He was pretty good, and I don’t know if I could have got him in the traffic, but it is what it is. His misfortune was my fortune.”
Davenport was never seriously challenged for his lead position during the final 11 laps of the race, although Kyle Bronson worked tirelessly to try to reel him in. Max Blair completed the podium with a third place finish.
Benji Hicks finished in fourth, followed by Brett Hamm in fifth.
T.J. Salango, Mark Whitener, Cla Knight, Austin Mintz and Thomas Robinson rounded out the top ten.
OneDirt World Short Track Championship
The Dirt Track at Charlotte – Concord, NC
Fox Shox Pro Late Models – Oct. 28, 2017
1. Jonathan Davenport – Blairsville, GA
2. Kyle Bronson – Brandon, FL
3. Max Blair – Centerville, PA
4. Benji Hicks – Mt Airy, NC
5. Brett Hamm – Newberry, SC
6. T.J. Salango – Beckley, WV
7. Mark Whitener – Middleburg, FL
8. Cla Knight – North Augusta, SC
9. Austin Mintz – Hopkins, SC
10. Thomas Robinson – Woodruff, SC
11. Kyle Pierce – Statesville, NC
12. Timbo Mangum – Lancaster, SC
13. Max McLaughlin – Mooresville, NC
14. Rambo Franklin – Gaffney, SC
15. Layton Sullivan – Gaffney, SC
16. Ryan Atkins – Mt. Airy, NC
17. Jeff Matthews – Apollo Beach, FL
18. Taylor Puckett – Greer, SC
19. Kenny Peeples, Jr. – Rural Retreat, VA
20. Carson Ferguson – Charlotte, NC
21. Shane Riner – Guyton, GA
22. Trent Ivey – Union, SC
23. Matt Long – Concord, NC
24. Dillon Brown – Gaffney, SC
25. Corey Gordon – Charlotte, NC
26. Mike Pegher, Jr. – Cranberry Township, PA