In more cases than not, Week 8 of the high school football season was ugly. Of the 22 games covered by Jacobs Media (online at AccessWDUN and on air WDUN and 1240 ESPN Radio), 16 were decided by three or more touchdowns. Week 9 is shaping up to be much more competitive and with games for potential region titles and playoff positioning on the docket, intrigue is high.
In this edition of the Prep Talk podcast, AccessWDUN sports editor Morgan Lee and Katie B. discuss:
Beginning of the show: Towns County earned its biggest win in program history in gritty fashion Oct. 13 when the Indians bested Athens Christian 28-27. What has John Cornett brought to the program and is Towns County a playoff team?
6:45-minute mark: Should the Flowery Branch faithful be worried about the Falcons offense after scoring just six points against a struggling Loganville squad? Also included:
- A shoutout to special teams
- Look ahead to Clarke Central at Flowery Branch
10-minute mark: North Hall again hit the 55-point mark in a win against Union County, one that secured a playoff spot for the Trojans. The Brickyard boys might have started 0-4, but they look like a team to be reckoned with now.
- 5-AAAAAAA (North Forsyth, South Forsyth, Milton and West Forsyth)
- 6-AAAAAAA (North Gwinnett, Mill Creek, Collins Hill, Mountain View)
- 8-AAAAAA (Dacula, Winder-Barrow, Lanier, Gainesville)
- 8-AAAAA (Buford, Flowery Branch, Clarke Central; but who's next?)
- 8-AAAA (Jefferson, St. Pius, Oconee County, Madison County)
- 7-AAAA (Marist, Blessed Trinity, West Hall; but who's next?)
- 8-AAA (Morgan County, Hart County, Monroe- Area, Jackson County)
- 7-AAA (GAC, Dawson County, East Hall, North Hall)
- 8-AA (Rabun County, Elbert County, Banks County, Putnam County)
Along with the region breakdown, Morgan and Katie B. preview the following games for Week 9
- South Forsyth at North Forsyth
- Jefferson at St. Pius
- White County at Chestatee
- East Hall at Dawson County
- Elbert County at Rabun County
The games featured this week on air include Clarke Central at Flowery Branch on AM550, East Hall at Dawson County on FM102.9 and Gainesville at Winder-Barrow on 1240 ESPN Radio. Friday Game Night coverage kicks off at 6:07 with The Tailgate Show presented by Carriage Auto Group on AM550 and FM102.9 WDUN. All programming can be found streaming online at AccessWDUN.com or WDUN.com.
The Prep Talk podcast records every Wednesday from Jacobs Media on Thompson Bridge Road in Gainesville. Have a question or a segment suggestion? Tweet @gameonktb or send an email to email@example.com. Make sure you're following Game On with Katie B. Davis on Facebook as the show goes the way of Facebook Live starting soon. To stay up to speed on all things prep sports, follow @AccessNGASports on Twitter, and for football specifically, follow @FridayGameNight.