GAINESVILLE - It appears careless disposal of ashes from a backyard cookout caused extensive damage to a home on Cascade Drive in Hall County Sunday night.<br />
Hall County fire officials said the homeowner told them he had disposed of ashes from a grill in a trash can at the corner of the house. He found the trash can on fire just before 8:30 p.m. and called authorities.<br />
Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle said the fire extended up the exterior wall of the house and into the attic and caused about $25,000 worth of damage to the 1,400-square-foot house. <br />
"This is a case where fire crews did a great job and saved property from being damaged. Attic fires are typically very destructive but Hall County Fire Services and Gainesville Fire Dept. did a great job," said Cagle.<br />
Gainesville Fire provided automatic aid to Hall County.<br />
No one was injured.
NEW YORK (AP) — As millions of Americans prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, security will be tight in New York City with a record number of police officers patrolling the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Da...
Should the Gainesville City Council give their approval to a lease agreement at a voting session Tuesday evening, SAFFT will occupy vacant space at the Gainesville Community Service Center on Prior Street, and the sooner the better according to SAFFT’s Executive Director Ashley Anderson.
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama spared two turkeys named for one of the nation's most admired presidents, continuing a White House tradition that provides a refreshing sense of amusement and...
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The big Thanksgiving getaway went into full swing Wednesday with drivers delighted by the lowest November gas prices in years and many airline passengers undaunted by terrorism fear...