ATLANTA - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says some of its staff in Atlanta may have been accidentally exposed to dangerous anthrax bacteria because of a safety problem at one of its labs.<br />
Agency officials say the risk of infection is low, but that about 75 staff members were being monitored or given antibiotics as a precaution.<br />
A statement from the agency says the problem occurred when bacteria samples that were not completely inactivated were moved from a higher level biosafety lab to a lower level one not designed to handle such samples.<br />
The problem was discovered last Friday, when live anthrax bacteria were found on some materials being gathered for disposal. The statement says some of the anthrax may have become airborne the previous week.
A blustery winter storm dumped snow and ice across the West on Wednesday, making driving treacherous in the mountains from California to the Rockies and forcing residents and party-goers in some usually sun-soaked cities to bundle up for a frosty New Year's.
NEW YORK (AP) — As millions of Americans prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving, security will be tight in New York City with a record number of police officers patrolling the annual Macy's Thanksgiving Da...
Should the Gainesville City Council give their approval to a lease agreement at a voting session Tuesday evening, SAFFT will occupy vacant space at the Gainesville Community Service Center on Prior Street, and the sooner the better according to SAFFT’s Executive Director Ashley Anderson.
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama spared two turkeys named for one of the nation's most admired presidents, continuing a White House tradition that provides a refreshing sense of amusement and...
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The big Thanksgiving getaway went into full swing Wednesday with drivers delighted by the lowest November gas prices in years and many airline passengers undaunted by terrorism fear...