CLEVELAND - Cleveland and White County firefighters were called to a possible house fire on Oakwood Court in the city around midnight Saturday, but what was discovered wasn't a fire.<br />
"Upon arrival of Cleveland Fire, there was a strong odor of what appeared to be electrical smell," said Cleveland Fire Chief Ricky Pruitt. "Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the incoming power was at an extremely high voltage."<br />
Georgia Power Co. was called and checked out the underground transformer.<br />
"Fire ants had built a nest inside it and this had shorted out the wiring, causing an extreme amount of high voltage to enter the home," Pruitt said. <br />
Georgia Power Co. personnel repaired the voltage problem, but Pruitt said several items inside the home were damaged as a result of the high voltage.
White County officials report a happy ending to an incident involving a third grade student at White County Intermediate School. The student was placed on the wrong bus and got off at the wrong location late Tuesday and was the object of a small search.
NEW YORK (AP) — Tens of millions of Americans returning home after the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend Sunday had cooperative weather and mostly efficient airport operations to thank for smooth trav...
Campaign finance reports filed by state and local officials in Georgia are often riddled with mistakes and discrepancies, with some leaving tens of thousands of dollars in campaign cash apparently unaccounted for, an Atlanta newspaper investigation shows.