rain
Thursday May 28th, 2015 2:09AM

Ray Rice apologizes, says he 'failed miserably'

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- His voice cracking with emotion, Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice acknowledged Friday that he "failed miserably" and apologized for the actions that led to his arrest on assault charges.

Rice was arrested following a Feb. 15 altercation in Atlantic City, New Jersey, in which he allegedly struck fiancee Janay Palmer. The couple married in late February, and both went to the stage at the team training complex for their first public comment since the arrest.

"I failed miserably, but I wouldn't call myself a failure because I'm working my way back up," he said.

Wearing a light gray suit and striped tie, Rice spoke for just over six minutes and didn't take questions. His speech was not prepared, but he often referred to notes on his cellphone.

"I know many of my supporters, sponsors, don't want to be in partnership with me. That's my fault," Rice said. "I take full responsibility for that. One thing I do know is that I'm working every day to be a better father, a better husband and just a better role model."

Rice was accepted Tuesday into a diversion program, which upon completion could lead to the charges being expunged.

"I want you to know I'm still the Ray Rice that you know, or used to know, or grown to love," Rice said. "I'm still the same guy. As me and Janay wish we could take back 30 seconds of our life, we definitely sit here and tell you that we are better parents, we are better lovers and also better friends."

Among those in attendance were Rice's mother, Janet, and his father-in-law, Joe Palmer. Rice was only 5 when his father was shot and killed, and he referred to Joe Palmer as the" father I never had."

"Thank you for teaching me how to be a man," he told Palmer. "I know it wasn't easy when you saw everything that happened, but I just remember your words: `You'll get through it.' Those words will always stick with me, because one thing you gave me is trust."

The 27-year-old Rice has played six years for the Ravens. He is the team's career leader in total scrimmage yards and ranks behind only Jamal Lewis in total yards rushing.

"My job is a very powerful job, and I'm blessed to be playing at the highest level of sports," Rice said. "But the job I did was more than scoring touchdowns. It was getting out in the community and helping out. So when this thing happened with me and my wife, one thing I can say is, sometimes in life you will fail."

Rice is eager to put this behind him, but it's possible that a suspension from the NFL looms ahead. His focus now, however, is clearly on his personal life.

"There were a lot of tears shed, but me and Janay can truly say we're in a better place," Rice said. "We just hope to one day gain back everyone's trust. We're still the same people and I'm still the same person."

After Rice was done speaking, he turned toward Janay, who enforced the couple's united front.

"I do deeply regret the role I played in the incident that night," she said. "But I can say that I am happy that we continue to work through it together. I love Ray, and I know that he will continue to prove himself not only to you all, but to the community, and I know he will gain your respect back in due time."
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
2014 Top 10: Looking back at the top sports stories of the year
It was another year for the record books in 2014, mostly for the right reasons -- state championships, new challenges and new stars taking their turn to shine. But there were also plenty of big stories that reminded us that sports -- like life -- isn
11:55PM ( 4 months ago )
NASCAR K&N Pro Series schedules set for 2015
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - NASCAR announced recently the 2015 schedules for its top developmental regional touring series, the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and NASCAR K&N Pro Series West.
2:00PM ( 4 months ago )
Lanierland boys final: Johnson makes history with win over Red Elephants <b> (VIDEO) </b>
Ever the aggressor on the court, Johnson
8:55AM ( 4 months ago )
Sports
Pits will be tight as Chili Bowl entry count hits 316
TULSA, OK - The 29th annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Midget Nationals presented by General Tire is on track to be a record smashing event, with the entry count climbing over the 300 mark for the first time to 316 entries confirming 303 drivers for the indoor spectacular happening Tuesday, January 13 through Saturday, January 17 at the Tulsa Expo Center in Tulsa, OK.
9:59AM ( 4 months ago )
Falcons fire Mike Smith after 2nd straight losing season
Mike Smith's status as the winningest coach in Falcons history wasn't enough to save his job. Owner Arthur Blank said he fired Smith on Monday because in his "heart of hearts" he didn't believe Smith could take the Falcons to the Super Bowl.
7:58PM ( 4 months ago )
New promoters in place for 2015 at Senoia Raceway
SENOIA, GA - Lease papers have been signed and a team of new promoters is in place for the upcoming stock car racing season at Senoia Raceway in Senoia, GA.
6:00AM ( 4 months ago )
Professional Sports
Opinion: Gainesville's heroic effort a worthy cap to an astounding prep season
Any coach, athlete, parent or booster that follows prep sports witnessed some amazing moments over the last few weeks -- from championships (some historic), to heartbreak and everything in between, as area teams and individuals provided us with a stunning finish to the 2014-15 high school sports campaign.
6:13PM ( 16 hours from now )
Baseball: GHS falls to Greenbrier in Game 3 (VIDEO)
In the end, it was wasn’t worth the wait...
2:45PM ( 12 hours from now )
THE LATEST: Asian federation opposes change to FIFA election
ZURICH (AP) — The Latest on FIFA developments:___4:30 a.m. (0230 GMT, 10:30 p.m. EDT)The Asian Football Confederation says it still supports Sepp Blatter's bid for another term as FIFA president, and...
Hawks point to bright future even after playoff rout by Cavs
The season didn't end like they wanted. Not even close...
G-Braves SS faces rape, kidnapping charges in Ohio
A Gwinnett Braves baseball player is facing rape and kidnapping charges after an incident on the team's road series in Columbus, Ohio over the weekend.