ATLANTA (AP) -- State officials say they plan to move forward with major transportation projects despite the threat of a loss in federal transportation funding, by using $81.5 million in accrued state motor fuel funds and the sale of $130 million in previously authorized bonds.
A spokesman for Gov. Nathan Deal said Thursday the funding plan will allow the state to proceed with reconstructing the Interstate 285/Georgia 400 interchange in metro Atlanta, among the most congested in the country. Deal spokesman Brian Robinson says the board of the Department of Transportation approved the funding plan at a Thursday meeting in Bainbridge.
Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx has said the federal Highway Trust Fund is expected to run dry by late August and that transportation aid to states would be delayed without congressional action.