mostlycloudy
Saturday February 6th, 2016 6:35PM

UNG students awarded two of 10 national Chinese scholarships

By Staff
DAHLONEGA - Two University of North Georgia (UNG) students each have received a $10,000 Chinese Government Scholarship to study in China for a year.

The scholarship, awarded by the American Association of State Colleges and Universities (AASCU), is given to only 10 students nationally from among the 400-plus AASCU member institutions.

Cody Bijeaux, a cadet, was happy to learn that fellow Chinese major Mark Stiles had received the award, but disappointed.

"Because they only offer 10 scholarships, my first reaction when I heard Mark got it was 'Man, that means I didn't get it,'" Bijeaux said. "I checked my email every day for notification and when I checked it a few hours after hearing about Mark, I saw 'Congratulations, you've been accepted' and I was ecstatic."

Bijeaux, a junior from Canton, and Stiles, a senior from Niceville, Fla., became interested in Chinese through UNG's immersive Summer Language Institute. Mark changed his major to Chinese from physics, and both students plan to continue their language studies in graduate school.

"At first my family was wondering why the sudden change and they were confused," Stiles said. "They're proud of me, especially when I told them about the scholarship and all the opportunities available to me. They understand what I can do with it."

Both previously studied in China through UNG's study abroad program, and are looking forward to spending an entire academic year at Zhejiang Normal University. Bijeaux also has a separate grant to study elsewhere in China this summer. Courses will be taught in Chinese and both hope to study another language
© Copyright 2016 AccessWDUN.com
Grass fire impacts rush hour traffic on 985
Rush hour traffic on I-985 was slowed by a grass fire Wednesay afternoon with one lane closed while firefighters fought the blaze.
10:19PM ( 1 year ago )
Judge denies motions to move, delay Tsarnaev trial
Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev asked a federal appeals court Wednesday to overturn a judge's decision to not move his upcoming trial out of state.
10:02PM ( 1 year ago )
Sheriff: Man shot 2 on I-85 because he wanted car
A 22-year-old man shot two people who stopped to give him a ride on Interstate 85 in South Carolina on Christmas Eve because he wanted their car to drive to Georgia, a sheriff said Wednesday.
5:21PM ( 1 year ago )
Local/State News
More than 20 people arrested by Georgia, Tennessee authorities on sex-related charges
Authorities say more than 20 people have been arrested on charges related to sex trafficking and online exploitation of children in Tennessee and Georgia.
Gainesville-based food bank benefits from Kroger 'Can Hunger' food drive
Thanks to the Gainesville area’s support, it was another record-breaking year for Kroger’s annual “Can Hunger” Food Drive.
By AccessWDUN staff
Hall County plans discussion of South Hall traffic signals, maintenance of I-985 exits
Discussions involving the need for more traffic signals in the South Hall area and the maintenance of exits along I-985 in that part of the county are planned by the county commission Monday.
White County man gets new term on state panel
White County Probate Judge Garrison Baker has been named to a new term on the board that oversees the state probate judges retirement fund.
Labor department, VA team up for employment workshops for veterans
State labor officials are teaming up later this month with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs on a couple of employment workshops in north Georgia designed specifically for veterans.