GAINESVILLE - Hall County firefighters were kept busy late Friday night and early Saturday morning with three fire incidents across the county.
County Fire Chief David Kimbrell said the first call came at 10:37 p.m. Friday from a homeowner on Brock Road just off Joe Chandler Road in the east Hall area, who told authorities the back of his house was on fire.
Kimbrell said because the driveway to the house was steep and narrow, firefighters had to carry hoses from the bottom of the driveway to the house. He said the fire extended up the back wall of the house and into the attic, gutting the third floor of the home and causing water damage through the rest of the house.
Kimbrell placed the damage estimate on the house at $100,000.
He said investigators determined the fire originated at a gas grill that had been left unattended at the back of the house.
Home destroyed in south Hall county
While crews battled the fire on Brock Road, more units were called to the south end of the county to a burning house on Green Road at Waterworks Road. A passerby noticed the fire and called authorities at 11:43 p.m.
Because Hall County's ladder truck was at the scene of the fire on Brock Road, crews called Gwinnett County authorities to assist with the fire in the south part of the county.
Kimbrell said officials first believed the occupant was inside the home, but the resident was later found with friends.
The fire, which destroyed the house, is believed to have started near a wood stove.
Oven fire causes little damage to assisted living facility
Kimbrell said the third fire occurred at 7:21 a.m. at Peachtree Plantation on
Hudson Drive in Oakwood.
He said a fire started in the oven at the facility. By the time firefighters arrived, the fire had been extinguished. Kimbrell said none of the residents at the home was injured and there was no major damage to the building.