Thursday October 8th, 2015 9:43PM

Santana allows one run in two innings in Braves spring debut

PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Ervin Santana was surprised when Eric Young Jr., his first batter of spring training, bunted and reached on a single.

Pretty much everything else went according to plan for Santana, who allowed one run over two innings Thursday in his first game for the Atlanta Braves, a 7-6 loss to the New York Mets.

Signed to a $14.1 million, one-year contract on March 12 after season-ending elbow injuries to Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy, Santana allowed hits to his first two batters. After Ruben Tejada's single, Santana retired David Wright on a sacrifice fly that started a streak of six straight outs.

"It feels very good," Santana said. "The ball was coming (out) very good. ... First outing in the National League, it's very good. I'm very happy with the performance today."

Santana is not expected to join the Braves until mid-April as he works to strengthen his arm and get his pitch count up. Other than the later-than-usual start date, he said everything else felt typical.

"Same baseball, nothing's changed," he said.

Before the game, the Braves said Beachy will have ligament-replacement surgery in his right elbow for the second time Friday, when Los Angeles Dodgers team physician Dr. Neal ElAttrache will operate in Los Angeles. Medlen had an elbow ligament replaced by Dr. James Andrews for the second time Tuesday.

Justin Upton went 2 for 4 with a double and two RBIs and was robbed of a potential home run on an outstanding grab by center fielder Juan Lagares. B.J. Upton was 2 for 4 with a RBI, and Jason Heyward was 1 for 2 with a walk and triple.

Ruben Tejada was 3 for 3 with a double and an RBI. Anthony Recker hit a winning three-run homer in the ninth off Eric Pfisterer.

Mets starter Zack Wheeler gave up two runs and five hits in 5 1-3 innings. Wheeler was hit hard in the first inning, giving up Heyward's triple and Ernesto Mejia's solo homer.

"They were ambushing like crazy," Wheeler said, referring to Atlanta's hitters sitting on his fastball early in counts. "I'm sure everybody saw that. I had to mix it up a little bit. I threw a lot of changeups today, and it was working well for me. I tried to go without the slider today, just to do it, so I had to throw my other stuff more. I'll probably use that a lot against them during the season. I didn't want to give them a good look at it."

UP, UP AND ...

Lagares, who impressed last season with his defense, made another brilliant play in the field in the first inning when he caught Justin Upton's drive. Wheeler said he was certain the ball would be a home run, but Lagares was able to make the grab.

"I thought I had a chance, but I was a little surprised to bring it back from the other side," Lagares said. "I had to look in my glove quick to be sure. I saw it there and I said, `Oh, I got it.' That's no easy play, but that's what we're here for. We practice that a lot - how deep the fence is from the grass. I had a lot of time to figure out when to make the jump because it was a high fly so I was able to time it."

Mets first baseman Ike Davis played his first exhibition game since March 2 and went 0 for 3. Davis had been sidelined with tight calf muscles. Lucas Duda, who has not played since March 3 due to a tight hamstring, is to play first base Friday against Minnesota, with Davis the designated hitter.
© Copyright 2015
2014 Top 10: Looking back at the top sports stories of the year
It was another year for the record books in 2014, mostly for the right reasons -- state championships, new challenges and new stars taking their turn to shine. But there were also plenty of big stories that reminded us that sports -- like life -- isn
11:55PM ( 9 months ago )
NASCAR K&N Pro Series schedules set for 2015
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - NASCAR announced recently the 2015 schedules for its top developmental regional touring series, the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and NASCAR K&N Pro Series West.
2:00PM ( 9 months ago )
Lanierland boys final: Johnson makes history with win over Red Elephants <b> (VIDEO) </b>
Ever the aggressor on the court, Johnson
8:55AM ( 9 months ago )
Pits will be tight as Chili Bowl entry count hits 316
TULSA, OK - The 29th annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Midget Nationals presented by General Tire is on track to be a record smashing event, with the entry count climbing over the 300 mark for the first time to 316 entries confirming 303 drivers for the indoor spectacular happening Tuesday, January 13 through Saturday, January 17 at the Tulsa Expo Center in Tulsa, OK.
9:59AM ( 9 months ago )
Falcons fire Mike Smith after 2nd straight losing season
Mike Smith's status as the winningest coach in Falcons history wasn't enough to save his job. Owner Arthur Blank said he fired Smith on Monday because in his "heart of hearts" he didn't believe Smith could take the Falcons to the Super Bowl.
7:58PM ( 9 months ago )
New promoters in place for 2015 at Senoia Raceway
SENOIA, GA - Lease papers have been signed and a team of new promoters is in place for the upcoming stock car racing season at Senoia Raceway in Senoia, GA.
6:00AM ( 9 months ago )
Professional Sports
Surprising Tigers looking to take early lead in 7-AAA
Sid Maxwell admitted he wasn’t sure what he was getting into when he decided to take the Dawson County job back in the spring.
Falcons downplay White's complaints about lack of passes
Atlanta Falcons receiver Roddy White skipped practice Wednesday for an undisclosed personal matter, while the team addressed concerns that he's not happy with a diminished role in the offense.
VIDEO: Kevin Harvick, Regan Smith tame the 'Monster Mile'
If there's one thing the NASCAR world should know by now, it's that Kevin Harvick is hard to beat when he's in a must win situation.
Tennessee dismisses WR Pig Howard ahead of facing UGA
Tennessee wide receiver Alton "Pig" Howard has been dismissed from the team for a violation of unspecified team rules.
Cross country: Johnson boys, North Hall girls claim Hall County titles
Johnson’s boys took first place individually and as a team, while North Hall’s girls did the same on Wednesday at the Hall County Cross County Championships at Chestatee High in Gainesville.
By AccessWDUN Staff