clear
Saturday February 13th, 2016 3:54AM

Nova dominant into seventh, Yankees beat Braves

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Ivan Nova pitched two-hit ball while working into the seventh inning for the first time this spring, and the New York Yankees beat the Atlanta Braves 7-0 Wednesday.

Nova didn't walk a batter and didn't allow a runner past second base. He said he felt like he could have kept going until he was pulled after allowing a double to Ryan Doumit.

"I expected to pitch six, but not into the seventh," Nova said. "I left feeling strong. This was a good day. I felt really comfortable."

Nova struck out five in 6 1-3 innings and lowered his ERA to 3.66 in his fifth start.

Carlos Beltran had three hits and drove in two runs and Adonis Garcia raised his spring batting average to .423 with two RBIs.

David Hale went 4 1-3 innings, allowing three runs and walking three. With injuries to several starters, Hale is in the mix for one of the final two spots in the rotation. He has a spring ERA of 5.11.

STARTING TIME

Yankees: Nova was asked if he feels like a veteran because he leads the team with five starts. He laughed at that one.

"I guess I've been here a while but do I feel like a veteran? No, no, no," Nova said. "But I have been here long enough to know what I am doing.'

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said he had no problems letting Nova pitch into the seventh inning.

"He was getting batters out. I thought he looked great," Girardi said.

Braves: Hale knows he's under close scrutiny as the Braves try to scrape together a starting rotation. He was excited about facing much of the Yankees regular starting lineup.

"I grew up watching Derek Jeter," Hale said. "That was fun."

What wasn't fun were the walks. Hale had only walked two batters all spring but he was concerned after walking three against the Yankees.

"I know I have to cut down on the walks," Hale said. "I figured out what I was doing wrong and I need to make some corrections. Right now, I am absolutely where I want to be."

With a shot at one of the open spots in the rotation, Hale said he is trying to stay focused.

"You never want to see anyone get hurt, but it has given me an opportunity," Hale said.

TRAINER'S ROOM

Yankees: Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury was out of the lineup for a second straight day nursing a sore right calf. Girardi said he is still day to day.

Braves: Kris Medlen had Tommy John surgery on Wednesday to repair his ulnar collateral ligament in his right pitching elbow. He is out for the season. ... First baseman Freddie Freeman returned to the lineup and went 0 for 3. He has been struggling with a bruised thumb.

McCANN RETURNS

Yankees catcher Brian McCann returned to the Braves' complex at Walt Disney World for the first time since signing a five-year, $85 million deal during the offseason. McCann spent nine years with the Braves, making seven All-Star appearances. He has fond memories of his time in Atlanta.

"I didn't come here for any reason but it was good to see the guys," McCann said. "I came to catch Nova. I am very grateful to the Braves. They made me the player I am today and I loved my time here."

Girardi said McCann is making a difference on and off the field.

"He goes out of his way to help the pitching staff," Girardi said. "He spends time with them off the field. You can learn a lot about a guy that way. He's becoming a leader to that staff."

TO THE RESCUE

The Braves signed Erwin Santana to a one-year, $14.1 million deal last week to fill the void in the starting rotation. After pitching several bullpens, Santana will make his first start in a Braves uniform on Thursday in Port St. Lucie against the New York Mets. Santana went 9-10 with a 3.24 ERA for the Kansas City Royals last season.
© Copyright 2016 AccessWDUN.com
2014 Top 10: Looking back at the top sports stories of the year
It was another year for the record books in 2014, mostly for the right reasons -- state championships, new challenges and new stars taking their turn to shine. But there were also plenty of big stories that reminded us that sports -- like life -- isn
11:55PM ( 1 year ago )
NASCAR K&N Pro Series schedules set for 2015
DAYTONA BEACH, FL - NASCAR announced recently the 2015 schedules for its top developmental regional touring series, the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East and NASCAR K&N Pro Series West.
2:00PM ( 1 year ago )
Lanierland boys final: Johnson makes history with win over Red Elephants <b> (VIDEO) </b>
Ever the aggressor on the court, Johnson
8:55AM ( 1 year ago )
Sports
Pits will be tight as Chili Bowl entry count hits 316
TULSA, OK - The 29th annual Lucas Oil Chili Bowl Midget Nationals presented by General Tire is on track to be a record smashing event, with the entry count climbing over the 300 mark for the first time to 316 entries confirming 303 drivers for the indoor spectacular happening Tuesday, January 13 through Saturday, January 17 at the Tulsa Expo Center in Tulsa, OK.
9:59AM ( 1 year ago )
Falcons fire Mike Smith after 2nd straight losing season
Mike Smith's status as the winningest coach in Falcons history wasn't enough to save his job. Owner Arthur Blank said he fired Smith on Monday because in his "heart of hearts" he didn't believe Smith could take the Falcons to the Super Bowl.
7:58PM ( 1 year ago )
New promoters in place for 2015 at Senoia Raceway
SENOIA, GA - Lease papers have been signed and a team of new promoters is in place for the upcoming stock car racing season at Senoia Raceway in Senoia, GA.
6:00AM ( 1 year ago )
Professional Sports
(VIDEO) 7-AAA Tournament: Lumpkin boys, West Hall girls set up historic shot; Vikings win at buzzer
Saturday's Region 7-AAA championship games will have a hard time living up to Friday's semifinals...
12:06PM ( 8 hours from now )
8-AAAAA Tournament: Branch girls, GHS boys advance to finals; Lady Elephants fall in semis
Courtney Newton’s return home couldn’t be going any better...
11:51AM ( 7 hours from now )
(VIDEO) 8-AAAA Tournament: North Hall, Buford boys set for title showdown; Lady Wolves roll
Buford basketball swept into the championship round, while the North Hall boys also reached the title game in Friday's Region 8-AAAA tournament contests in Toccoa.
By AccessWDUN Staff
11:46AM ( 7 hours from now )
8-A Tournament: Randolph shoots Lakeview into finals; Lady Lions rout George Walton to punch finals ticket
Josh Randolph hit two free throws with 1.5 seconds left to lift Lakeview Academy to a thrilling 41-40 win over Prince Avenue Friday night in the semifinals of the Region 8-A Tournament.
By AccessWDUN Staff
11:18AM ( 7 hours from now )
8-AA Tournament: RMA, Rabun County boys set to battle for title; Union-Rabun to battle for girls crown
For just the third time in school history, and the first since 2010, the Riverside Military basketball team advanced to the region finals, this time by virtue of a 47-36 victory over Greene County in the region 8-AA semifinals at the Rabun County gym.
By AccessWDUN Staff
10:44AM ( 6 hours from now )