mostlycloudy
Thursday May 25th, 2017 6:42AM
6:20AM ( 22 minutes ago ) News Alert

Fire kills girl during power outage; candle blamed

By The Associated Press
MILLEN, Ga. (AP) Authorities say a 5-year-old east Georgia girl has died after a candle sparked a fire in her home, which had lost power after this week's ice storm.

Glenn Allen, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office, says the girl's parents are both hospitalized for burns and smoke inhalation. The girl's 9-year-old brother escaped unharmed.

Allen says firefighters were called to the manufactured home in the Jenkins County town of Millen around 5:40 a.m. Friday. The town is about 50 miles south of Augusta, in an area hard-hit by power outages from the storm.
© Copyright 2017 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.