CUMMING - A family of four in Forsyth County lost their home to fire Thursday morning, according to Forsyth County Fire Division Chief Jason Shivers.
Shivers said his crews arrived at the scene on Buford Highway (Highway 20) outside of Cumming just before 3:45 a.m. and the home was about 80-percent involved in flames. While the investigation is ongoing, Shivers said it appears the fire was accidental.
"The homeowner did make some comments relative to a space heater that they were using for heat during the evening," said Shivers. "Of course, as we all know, those can be dangerous if not used properly.
He said the family was able to escape the home safely in the 13-degree weather.
"No civilians or firefighters were injured, but unfortunately, of course, the family was displaced during very bitterly cold temperatures," said Shivers.
Buford Highway was closed for several hours between Windemere Parkway and Echols Road while firefighters brought the fire under control and cleared ice from the roadway, which developed because of water runoff from the firefighting effort.
Because a number of businesses and schools remained closed for the day as a result of Tuesday's snow and ice, the road closure did not greatly hamper traffic, according to Shivers.