GAINESVILLE - While the sunshine was bright at noon Wednesday afternoon, slick roads were still an issue across northeast Georgia.
Deputy Hall County Emergency Management Agency Director Scott Cagle said the morning continued to be busy for emergency crews. He said the department responded to 375 calls between 3:00 a.m. and noon.
Cagle said 34 of those were traffic accidents, although there have been no critical injuries as a result.
"We continue to be in a much better situation than those counties around us. This is mainly due to our public roads department and citizens staying off the streets," Cagle said.
Cagle said side streets and subdivisions remained icy. He urged people to stay off the roads if possible.
The Georgia Department of Transportation in northeast Georgia echoed Cagle's comments about staying off of roadways.
According to district spokesperson Teri Pope, hazardous conditions continued across the region, especially in Habersham, Lumpkin, Rabun, Towns, Union and White counties.
However, it was a bit of good news for all four lanes of State Route 365 in Habersham and SR 15/US 441 in Habersham and Rabun counties. According to DOT they are currently free of ice and open for use.
"Sadly, we think this is only a temporary reprieve because temperatures are expected to begin falling in a few short hours. Please continue to check roadway conditions before you head out on the roads especially in Habersham, Lumpkin, Rabun, Towns, Union and White counties," Georgia DOT District Engineer, Bayne Smith said.
DOT officials hope Wednesday afternoon traffic will be sparse, allowing their equipment full access to roadways.
Temperatures remained below freezing across the region.
Noon update from DOT. Road locations with reported icing where crews are working:
· Barrow SR 82 and SR 81
· Dawson SR 183, SR 136 and SR 53 especially in higher elevations
· Forsyth Bridges on SR 9, SR 20 and SR 369
· Gwinnett SR 20, SR 141, SR 316 especially bridges and I-85 south exit ramp to SR 141/Jimmy Carter Blvd and I-85 Collector Distributor ramps Pleasant Hill Road (Exit 105) to Old Peachtree Road (Exit 109)
· Habersham and Stephens SR 17 Alt. at Water Works Hill
· Hall SR 60/Thompson Bridge Rd at SR 136, SR 369 bridges and SR 365 bridges
· Jackson SR 334 and SR 336
· Lumpkin SR 9, SR 52 and SR 60
· Rabun SR 2/US 76 and SR 15/US 441, SR 28 and SR 197
· Towns SR 2/SR 515, SR 66, SR 75
· Union SR 180, SR 11/US 129 and SR 2/US 76
· Walton SR 81
· White SR 11, SR 115, SR 75 and SR 356