GAINESVILLE - Emergency crews responded to reports of a house fire in the eastern portion of Hall County tonight at approximately 8 p.m.
According to Hall County Fire Marshall Scott Cagle, firefighters received a call at 7:50 p.m. reporting a house fire in the 2100-block of Cowpoke Lane just east of Gainesville.
Cagle said that upon arrival, crews discovered a roughly 1,500-square foot home that was showing a heavy amount of smoke.
One unidentified male individual was sleeping inside the home when the fire intially ignited, and was awakened by the sounds of a smoke alarm. Cagle said that the presence of a working alarm likely saved the man's life.
The fire caused extensive damage to the building, rendering it uninhabitable. Red Cross has been notified and will provide assitance to the displaced resident.
A preliminary investigation into the fire revealed that it began near the home's stove, and that it appears to have been accidental in nature.
The investigation is ongoing, according to Cagle.