cloudy
Monday February 8th, 2016 8:41PM

Area lifter Moon presses way to another title

By staff
It was another day, another benchpress title for Georgia IronDawg powerlifter Tim "T" Moon of Gainesville.

Moon's latest feat came Sunday in the USAPL Bench Press Nationals in Atlanta.

Moon lost weight in an effort to break the national record in the Master's Men's 45-49-year-old, 120-kilogram/264.55-pound class and he was successful in that pursuit, picking up another national championship along the way.

The lift was also good enough for third place in the Open Class for that bodyweight.

"The meet today was a lot of fun," Moon said. "Although I didn't hit the numbers that I usually do it was very competitive. The meet was very well organized. Everyone knew who their competition was and what they were trying to attempt. There was a lot of strategy involved today.

"I was happy to beat the USAPL national record and win the national championship for my age. Once I felt that was secure I focused on the young bucks. Ultimately I took third against them and lost by only about 16 pounds. If I had hit my third attempt I would have easily beat them. But it was not to be."

Moon cruised through his first attempt at 661 pounds (300kg) but was called on a technical error of lifting his head off the bench. Moon re-lifted the 661 with ease and then barely missed 711 pounds on his third and last try of the day.

He said it was a good day overall, even though he didn't lift as heavy as he usually does.

"I think cutting weight down to 120 took a little out of me," Moon said/

As a result of his title, Moon was invited to lift with the Master's National team for the IPF Worlds in April 2014 in England. The meet was also a qualifier for the Arnold Classic in February in Chicago when he will be 50.

Moon is a 1982 graduate of Jefferson High.
  • Associated Categories: Sports
© Copyright 2016 AccessWDUN.com
Bartus, Icemen shuts out Gwinnett
Garrett Bartus pitched a 42 save shutout, as the Evansville IceMen topped the Gwinnett Gladiators on a New year
10:23PM ( 2 years ago )
Gator Bowl Preview Capsule
A rematch of last year's Capital One Bowl, which Georgia won 45-31 in Orlando.
8:52PM ( 2 years ago )
Millsap's 34 leads Hawks past Celtics
Paul Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.
7:44PM ( 2 years ago )
Sports
Basketball: February frenzy starts in earnest as region tournaments get underway
If you're a high school basketball fan, then this week represents the zenith of the season...
By AccessWDUN Staff
Falcons hire former Chiefs assistant GM Joel Collier
The Atlanta Falcons continue to shake up their front office, hiring Joel Collier as director of pro personnel.
By AP, staff reports
Denver defense leads way for Manning, as QB gets chance to ride into sunset with Super Bowl 50 win
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — A reborn Orange Crush might have sent Peyton Manning into retirement with a Super ending to his career.Von Miller and the impenetrable Denver defense harassed Panthers quart...
No. 15 Baseball Sweeps Eagles with 11-3 Win
Daniel McCrary pitched 5 1/3 innings of one-hit baseball and North Georgia put 11 runs on the board in just three innings as the No. 15 Nighthawks cruised to a series sweep of Carson-Newman with an 11-3 win Sunday afternoon.
By UNG Athletics Communications
Piedmont pitching sets tone in 7-3 victory over Guilford
Following a game with heavy offensive output on both sides Saturday, it was the pitching that set the tone in the Piedmont College baseball team's 7-3 victory over Guilford College Sunday.
By AccessWDUN Staff