Tuesday November 24th, 2015 11:18PM

Area lifter Moon presses way to another title

By staff
It was another day, another benchpress title for Georgia IronDawg powerlifter Tim "T" Moon of Gainesville.

Moon's latest feat came Sunday in the USAPL Bench Press Nationals in Atlanta.

Moon lost weight in an effort to break the national record in the Master's Men's 45-49-year-old, 120-kilogram/264.55-pound class and he was successful in that pursuit, picking up another national championship along the way.

The lift was also good enough for third place in the Open Class for that bodyweight.

"The meet today was a lot of fun," Moon said. "Although I didn't hit the numbers that I usually do it was very competitive. The meet was very well organized. Everyone knew who their competition was and what they were trying to attempt. There was a lot of strategy involved today.

"I was happy to beat the USAPL national record and win the national championship for my age. Once I felt that was secure I focused on the young bucks. Ultimately I took third against them and lost by only about 16 pounds. If I had hit my third attempt I would have easily beat them. But it was not to be."

Moon cruised through his first attempt at 661 pounds (300kg) but was called on a technical error of lifting his head off the bench. Moon re-lifted the 661 with ease and then barely missed 711 pounds on his third and last try of the day.

He said it was a good day overall, even though he didn't lift as heavy as he usually does.

"I think cutting weight down to 120 took a little out of me," Moon said/

As a result of his title, Moon was invited to lift with the Master's National team for the IPF Worlds in April 2014 in England. The meet was also a qualifier for the Arnold Classic in February in Chicago when he will be 50.

Moon is a 1982 graduate of Jefferson High.
  • Associated Categories: Sports
© Copyright 2015
Bartus, Icemen shuts out Gwinnett
Garrett Bartus pitched a 42 save shutout, as the Evansville IceMen topped the Gwinnett Gladiators on a New year
10:23PM ( 1 year ago )
Gator Bowl Preview Capsule
A rematch of last year's Capital One Bowl, which Georgia won 45-31 in Orlando.
8:52PM ( 1 year ago )
Millsap's 34 leads Hawks past Celtics
Paul Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.
7:44PM ( 1 year ago )
Marshall brothers add turkey to Georgia-Ga Tech rivalry
The Georgia-Georgia Tech rivalry this year will feature a Thanksgiving feast that brings opposing players to the same dinner table.
10:52AM ( 11 hours from now )
Girls basketball: East Hall knocks off Lakeview for Piedmont title
The East Hall girls basketball team continued its strong start to the season on Tuesday, pushing past Lakeview Academy 61-51 to claim the Piedmont College Hardwood Classic in Demorest.
By AccessWDUN Staff
11:58PM ( 39 minutes from now )
Hawks rout Celtics behind Millsap
Paul Millsap scored 25 points, Jeff Teague added 16 and the Atlanta Hawks beat the Boston Celtics 121-97 on Tuesday night.
Williams leads balanced attack as Nighthawks race past Shorter
T.J. Williams led five players in double figures with a team-high 19 points as the University of North Georgia men's basketball team handed Shorter its first loss of the season with a 102-82 decision on Tuesday evening in UNG's Memorial Hall.
By UNG Sports Communications
Jackson notches 2nd straight double-double in win
Cierra Jackson recorded her second consecutive double-double as the University of North Georgia women's basketball team cruised to a 67-54 win over the University of West Georgia Tuesday night.
By UNG Sports Communications