mostlycloudy
Sunday May 3rd, 2015 7:03PM

Area lifter Moon presses way to another title

By staff
It was another day, another benchpress title for Georgia IronDawg powerlifter Tim "T" Moon of Gainesville.

Moon's latest feat came Sunday in the USAPL Bench Press Nationals in Atlanta.

Moon lost weight in an effort to break the national record in the Master's Men's 45-49-year-old, 120-kilogram/264.55-pound class and he was successful in that pursuit, picking up another national championship along the way.

The lift was also good enough for third place in the Open Class for that bodyweight.

"The meet today was a lot of fun," Moon said. "Although I didn't hit the numbers that I usually do it was very competitive. The meet was very well organized. Everyone knew who their competition was and what they were trying to attempt. There was a lot of strategy involved today.

"I was happy to beat the USAPL national record and win the national championship for my age. Once I felt that was secure I focused on the young bucks. Ultimately I took third against them and lost by only about 16 pounds. If I had hit my third attempt I would have easily beat them. But it was not to be."

Moon cruised through his first attempt at 661 pounds (300kg) but was called on a technical error of lifting his head off the bench. Moon re-lifted the 661 with ease and then barely missed 711 pounds on his third and last try of the day.

He said it was a good day overall, even though he didn't lift as heavy as he usually does.

"I think cutting weight down to 120 took a little out of me," Moon said/

As a result of his title, Moon was invited to lift with the Master's National team for the IPF Worlds in April 2014 in England. The meet was also a qualifier for the Arnold Classic in February in Chicago when he will be 50.

Moon is a 1982 graduate of Jefferson High.
  • Associated Categories: Sports
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
Bartus, Icemen shuts out Gwinnett
Garrett Bartus pitched a 42 save shutout, as the Evansville IceMen topped the Gwinnett Gladiators on a New year
10:23PM ( 1 year ago )
Gator Bowl Preview Capsule
A rematch of last year's Capital One Bowl, which Georgia won 45-31 in Orlando.
8:52PM ( 1 year ago )
Millsap's 34 leads Hawks past Celtics
Paul Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.
7:44PM ( 1 year ago )
Sports
Hawks go cold in 2nd half, drop Game 1 to Wizards
Bradley Beal shook off a sprained ankle to score 28 points and the Washington Wizards remained unbeaten in the postseason, knocking off the top-seeded Atlanta Hawks 104-98 Sunday in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals.
6:34AM ( 11 hours from now )
Teheran dominant in shutout win for Braves
Julio Teheran gave up just three singles in six sharp innings and the Atlanta Braves beat the Cincinnati Reds 5-0 Sunday for a split of the four-game series.
4:38AM ( 9 hours from now )
Dale Earnhardt Jr. cruises to 1st Talladega win since 2004
Dale Earnhardt, Jr. cruised to his first win of the season at an old familiar place that has always been good to his family.
By Jenna Fryer-AP Auto Racing Writer
Coach Quinn believes 1st NFL draft with Falcons a success
General manager Thomas Dimitroff and new coach Dan Quinn say the Atlanta Falcons got exactly what they were looking for on the last day of the NFL draft.
Golf: Red Elephants surge back to claim Invite crown over Marist
The Gainesville boys golf team staged a second-round comeback on Saturday to claim The Invite crown at Chattahoochee Golf Club in Gainesville.