Tuesday October 6th, 2015 8:23PM

Area lifter Moon presses way to another title

By staff
It was another day, another benchpress title for Georgia IronDawg powerlifter Tim "T" Moon of Gainesville.

Moon's latest feat came Sunday in the USAPL Bench Press Nationals in Atlanta.

Moon lost weight in an effort to break the national record in the Master's Men's 45-49-year-old, 120-kilogram/264.55-pound class and he was successful in that pursuit, picking up another national championship along the way.

The lift was also good enough for third place in the Open Class for that bodyweight.

"The meet today was a lot of fun," Moon said. "Although I didn't hit the numbers that I usually do it was very competitive. The meet was very well organized. Everyone knew who their competition was and what they were trying to attempt. There was a lot of strategy involved today.

"I was happy to beat the USAPL national record and win the national championship for my age. Once I felt that was secure I focused on the young bucks. Ultimately I took third against them and lost by only about 16 pounds. If I had hit my third attempt I would have easily beat them. But it was not to be."

Moon cruised through his first attempt at 661 pounds (300kg) but was called on a technical error of lifting his head off the bench. Moon re-lifted the 661 with ease and then barely missed 711 pounds on his third and last try of the day.

He said it was a good day overall, even though he didn't lift as heavy as he usually does.

"I think cutting weight down to 120 took a little out of me," Moon said/

As a result of his title, Moon was invited to lift with the Master's National team for the IPF Worlds in April 2014 in England. The meet was also a qualifier for the Arnold Classic in February in Chicago when he will be 50.

Moon is a 1982 graduate of Jefferson High.
  • Associated Categories: Sports
© Copyright 2015
Bartus, Icemen shuts out Gwinnett
Garrett Bartus pitched a 42 save shutout, as the Evansville IceMen topped the Gwinnett Gladiators on a New year
10:23PM ( 1 year ago )
Gator Bowl Preview Capsule
A rematch of last year's Capital One Bowl, which Georgia won 45-31 in Orlando.
8:52PM ( 1 year ago )
Millsap's 34 leads Hawks past Celtics
Paul Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.
7:44PM ( 1 year ago )
Falcons place Hester on short-term IR; out until Dec. 6
The Atlanta Falcons placed wide receiver and return specialist Devin Hester on injured reserve-designated to return with a turf toe injury on Tuesday.
Region title deciders on the line? Could well be the case for Friday
We’re past the halfway point in the season, so it’s no wonder that this week brings with it a handful of contests that could well decide the destiny of a region crown and/or playoff positioning this weekend.
Softball: Region tournaments finally back in action after rainouts
The weather has been as big a story as the teams themselves as region tournaments to fill the girls state softball brackets have been postponed twice in the last week due to rain.
Quinn getting message of starting fast through to Falcons
Coach Dan Quinn has been trying to get the Atlanta Falcons to start games fast...
Hart says Braves 'will be better' following 67-win finish
The last time the Atlanta Braves finished below 70 wins was 1990, when they were in a rebuilding process based on pitching...