GAINESVILLE - Authorities moved a group of after-school students at McEver Elementary Wednesday after a construction crew nearby hit a natural gas line.
According to Fire Chief David Kimbrell, the leak was non-threatening, but was dissipating into the air and causing a strong odor.
"We did move some students to a different part of the school, just simply for the smell," Kimbrell said. "We did monitor the area with gas meters and there was never any danger to that school." Most students had left the school by the time the line was hit, but a group of after-school kids were still there along with some staff, according to Kimbrell.
Kimbrell said the response team was able to slow the leak and the gas company turned off the gas to the line.
Kimbrell also said the leak won't be issue for commuters on the road. "Fortunately with natural gas, it is lighter than air and it rises and will dissipate on out of the way.
School system spokesman Gordon Higgins said the construction crew had been working at the car wash behind the school.
He said everything should be back to normal for the Thursday school day.