GAINESVILLE - The Lake Lanier Association's (LLA's) annual meeting will be held Wednesday, June 5, in Cumming - and its retiring longtime president will be singled out for special recognition.
Jackie Joseph of Buford has been associated with the LLA for more than 30 years.
"The lake has always been important to this part of the state and the region," Joseph said in a Lakeside News interview with Pamela Keene. "Becoming involved in such a worthwhile cause just seemed like the right thing to do back then."
During the meeting, the group will also review and discuss accomplishments in 2012 and look at plans for this year and beyond.
In addition to honoring Joseph, items on the agenda include:
- Status of Corps of Engineers Water Control Manual Update
- Lake Lanier Water Safety Alliance Update including new Boating Safety Stickers and Lake Marker Solar Lighting Program
- Clean Lake Projects with Flat Creek Restoration Project Update and Property Owner Pledge Agreement
- Association Financial Update
There will be four breakout workshop sessions offered prior to the business portion of the meeting starting at 5:30. The workshop topics are:
1) Dock maintenance and technology panel discussion Tom Child/Marine Specialties, Brad Wiegand/Boat Dock Works, Tom Vivelo/LLA moderator
2) Navigating Lake Lanier with GPS technology Humminbird representative
3) Addressing water quality concerns at a private dock or cove Duncan Hughes/Chattahoochee Riverkeeper, Bev Nicholls/LLA
4) Creating a fish habitat at your personal dock Patrick O'Rourke/DNR
The business portion of the meeting will being at 6:45.
A lake-based business expo will run concurrently in the lobby from 5:15-6:45.
The meeting will be held in the Forsyth Conference Center at Lanier Technical College, 3410 Ronald Regan Boulevard, Cumming.