UNDATED - Christmas events are ramping up in northeast Georgia this weekend, with numerous parades and other events set in the area.
Across the region, organizers are hoping for a break in the week's rain so their events can go on as planned.
For the first time, Baldwin is hosting the Habersham County Christmas Parade, "Christmas Through the Eyes of a Child," at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Grand marshal for the parade will be Baseball Hall of Famer Phil Niekro.
"At this point we have 65 applicants for the parade," said organizer Tommie Perry, administrative assistant to the mayor on Friday. "Unfortunately, due to rain some may cancel."
The parade lines up at Baldwin City Hall, 130 Airport Road, then enters Willingham Avenue and ends at Mitchell Gailey City Park.
The parade is being held in conjunction with The Christmas Village Festival, which will run from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. at Mitchell Gailey City Park beside Baldwin Fire Department. The festival will feature crafts, food, children's games and more.
Entertainment for the day will be by Lula Assembly of Praise, Baldwin Elementary, The Lord's Messengers, Alto Congregational Holiness Church, Premier Dance Studio, and Pam Alford. They will be performing on stage at Baldwin Fire Department.
Baldwin Fire Department will be selling barbecue sandwich plates during the event on Saturday. Plates will include a sandwich, baked beans, chips and drink for $6.
Additionally, firefighters will be selling tickets to win a $500 Bass Pro gift card. Tickets are $5 each, or three tickets for $10. The gift card will be given away at 2 p.m. at the fire department.
Parking is available at Mitchell Gailey City Park, Wilbanks Body Shop and the field next to it, Life Church and Baldwin Elementary School.
Following is a summary of some of the parade-related events in our coverage area.
Saturday, Dec. 7
* 11 a.m. - "Christmas Through the Eyes of a Child" Habersham County Christmas Parade in Baldwin. Details: (706) 778-6341 or email@example.com.
* 2 p.m. - Helen Christmas Parade featuring floats, a band, and a visit from Santa. Details: (706) 878-2181.
* 2 p.m. - Bowman Christmas Parade in Elbert County, in association with the third-annual Bowman Christmas Bazaar. Details: (706) 567-0975 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
* 4 p.m. - "Christmas in the South" Parade in downtown Toccoa. Details: (706) 716-0490.
* 4:30 p.m. - Dahlonega Old Fashioned Christmas Parade, rain or shine, in downtown Dahlonega. The parade will be followed by lighting of the tree on the Visitors Center Plaza, historical trolley tours of downtown Dahlonega, a concert by Kurt Thomas, a live Nativity scene with animals, and a concert by the North Georgia Symphony Orchestra. Details: (706) 864-0410.
* 5 p.m. - Clayton Christmas Parade in downtown Clayton. Details: (706) 782-4812.
* 6 p.m. - Christmas parade in Lula, as part of Christmas in Lula which runs from 4-8 p.m. at Lula Veterans Park. Live Nativity scene. (770) 869-3801.
* 7 p.m. - Cleveland Lighted Christmas Parade in White County as part of the annual Christmas in the Mountains. Details: (706) 865-5356.
Sunday, Dec. 8
* 3:30 p.m. - "Christmas Bells: Sounds of the Season" parade, sponsored by the Elberton Kiwanis Club, in Elberton. Details: (706) 283-5000.
* 4:30 p.m. - "Christmas on Green Street" sponsored by the Hall County Historical Society. A parade of antique cars kicks off the festivities. Carolers and musicians perform and historic homes on Gainesville's Green Street will be open for tours. Evening ends with the lighting of the Rotary Tree at 7 p.m.