clear
Saturday May 23rd, 2015 6:22AM

Miller leads Lady Dogs past Tech, 63-56

ATHENS -- When Georgia coach Andy Landers received a text from Khaalidah Miller at 6:30 on Sunday morning, he sensed the senior guard couldn't wait to play Georgia Tech.

Miller scored 20 points and No. 23 Georgia held off Georgia Tech's comeback to beat the Yellow Jackets 63-56 on Sunday to continue its domination of the state rivalry.

Miller opened the game with three 3-pointers for Georgia's first three field goals.

"I thought Khaalidah got us started on the right foot," Landers said. "I kind of thought she might. She texted me at 6:30 this morning, said she was up and couldn't sleep, was jacked to go. They left her open two or three times early and it was bam, bam, bam.

"Anytime you can have that kind of thing happen, it gives everybody on your team a little more confidence."

Georgia Tech committed 27 turnovers, 10 more than Georgia.

"At times it wasn't pretty offensively, but defensively it was pretty all day long," Landers said. "We did an excellent job defensively."

Shacobia Barbee added 14 points as Georgia (5-0) improved to 32-4 all-time against Georgia Tech, including 14-0 in Athens. The Lady Bulldogs never trailed.

Miller, from Atlanta, said the rivalry "means a lot" because she was recruited by Georgia Tech.

"When I told them I was coming here they were highly upset," Miller said. "I remember I had already committed and they were still calling wanting me to change my mind."

The Lady Bulldogs' biggest lead was 11 points at 42-31 about 5 minutes into the second half. Georgia Tech cut the deficit to three points on a 3-pointer by Sydney Wallace with 4:27 remaining. Barbee's three-point play pushed Georgia's lead back to six points.

Barbee's steal from Georgia Tech freshman Kaela Davis set up Miller's layup that gave Georgia a 57-49 lead.

Georgia Tech (2-2) suffered its second straight loss to a ranked Southeastern Conference team, following an 87-76 loss at No. 3 Tennessee on Nov. 17.

"I'm just disappointed in our effort," said Georgia Tech coach MaChelle Joseph. "We didn't play hard. We have no excuses not to come into Georgia and play hard. We didn't compete for 40 minutes and it starts with our seniors. You can't expect your freshmen and sophomores to carry the burden in a game like this."

Davis, the daughter of former NBA star Antonio Davis, had 13 points to lead Georgia Tech after averaging 22.7 points in her first three college games.

"Personally I don't think I came out ready to play the way I have these past three games," Davis said.

"I didn't know what to expect coming in here but I knew I had to come ready to play and I didn't."

Wallace and Tyaunna Marshall had 11 points for the Yellow Jackets.

Merritt Hempe and Kaelyn Causwell fouled out for Georgia. Davis, Marshall and Dawnn Maye fouled out for Georgia Tech.
© Copyright 2015 AccessNorthGa.com
Bartus, Icemen shuts out Gwinnett
Garrett Bartus pitched a 42 save shutout, as the Evansville IceMen topped the Gwinnett Gladiators on a New year
10:23PM ( 1 year ago )
Gator Bowl Preview Capsule
A rematch of last year's Capital One Bowl, which Georgia won 45-31 in Orlando.
8:52PM ( 1 year ago )
Millsap's 34 leads Hawks past Celtics
Paul Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.
7:44PM ( 1 year ago )
Sports
No. 19 Georgia blows past Illinois
Shacobia Barbee had 17 points, eight rebounds and six assists to lead No. 19 Georgia over Illinois 82-60 on Saturday.
10:42PM ( 1 year ago )
Dogs will face Nebraska without standout DE Moss
Nebraska defensive end Avery Moss returned to his home in Arizona to attend to a personal issue and won't play in the Gator Bowl against No. 23 Georgia next week.
10:16PM ( 1 year ago )
Georgia Southern coach Monken headed for Army
Desperate to snap its long losing streak against its archrival, Army has hired former Navy assistant Jeff Monken as its 37th football coach.
1:04PM ( 1 year ago )
College Sports
VIDEO: Wolves could care less about rankings -- they want a ring
Seniors Joey Bart, Jake Higginbotham, Connor Bennett, and Keyton Gibson aren’t worried about expectations at this point in the season. They know first hand expectations usually are worth about as much as it cost you to listen to them...
5:00PM ( 10 hours from now )
How do you measure clutch? Gainesville baseball provides the metric
In three straight postseasons, Gainesville baseball players watched in agony as -- at the crucial moment -- the other team made the play.
4:59PM ( 10 hours from now )
Battle-tested Dragons ready to pull off another road win in championship series
Forget “Mad Max,” Jefferson baseball might as well be re-making its own movie of similar vein this spring -- starring as themselves in “The Road Warrior(s).”
James leads Cavs to 94-82 win over Hawks, 2-0 series lead
LeBron James scored 30 points and the Cleveland Cavaliers took total command of the Eastern Conference final even without injured star Kyrie Irving, routing the Atlanta Hawks 94-82 on Friday night for a 2-0 lead with the series heading to Ohio.
Braun powers Brewers to easy win over Braves
Ryan Braun homered and drove in four runs, four Milwaukee pitchers combined to hold Atlanta to three hits, and the Brewers beat the Braves 11-0 on Friday night.