Saturday November 28th, 2015 8:38PM

Miller leads Lady Dogs past Tech, 63-56

ATHENS -- When Georgia coach Andy Landers received a text from Khaalidah Miller at 6:30 on Sunday morning, he sensed the senior guard couldn't wait to play Georgia Tech.

Miller scored 20 points and No. 23 Georgia held off Georgia Tech's comeback to beat the Yellow Jackets 63-56 on Sunday to continue its domination of the state rivalry.

Miller opened the game with three 3-pointers for Georgia's first three field goals.

"I thought Khaalidah got us started on the right foot," Landers said. "I kind of thought she might. She texted me at 6:30 this morning, said she was up and couldn't sleep, was jacked to go. They left her open two or three times early and it was bam, bam, bam.

"Anytime you can have that kind of thing happen, it gives everybody on your team a little more confidence."

Georgia Tech committed 27 turnovers, 10 more than Georgia.

"At times it wasn't pretty offensively, but defensively it was pretty all day long," Landers said. "We did an excellent job defensively."

Shacobia Barbee added 14 points as Georgia (5-0) improved to 32-4 all-time against Georgia Tech, including 14-0 in Athens. The Lady Bulldogs never trailed.

Miller, from Atlanta, said the rivalry "means a lot" because she was recruited by Georgia Tech.

"When I told them I was coming here they were highly upset," Miller said. "I remember I had already committed and they were still calling wanting me to change my mind."

The Lady Bulldogs' biggest lead was 11 points at 42-31 about 5 minutes into the second half. Georgia Tech cut the deficit to three points on a 3-pointer by Sydney Wallace with 4:27 remaining. Barbee's three-point play pushed Georgia's lead back to six points.

Barbee's steal from Georgia Tech freshman Kaela Davis set up Miller's layup that gave Georgia a 57-49 lead.

Georgia Tech (2-2) suffered its second straight loss to a ranked Southeastern Conference team, following an 87-76 loss at No. 3 Tennessee on Nov. 17.

"I'm just disappointed in our effort," said Georgia Tech coach MaChelle Joseph. "We didn't play hard. We have no excuses not to come into Georgia and play hard. We didn't compete for 40 minutes and it starts with our seniors. You can't expect your freshmen and sophomores to carry the burden in a game like this."

Davis, the daughter of former NBA star Antonio Davis, had 13 points to lead Georgia Tech after averaging 22.7 points in her first three college games.

"Personally I don't think I came out ready to play the way I have these past three games," Davis said.

"I didn't know what to expect coming in here but I knew I had to come ready to play and I didn't."

Wallace and Tyaunna Marshall had 11 points for the Yellow Jackets.

Merritt Hempe and Kaelyn Causwell fouled out for Georgia. Davis, Marshall and Dawnn Maye fouled out for Georgia Tech.
© Copyright 2015
Bartus, Icemen shuts out Gwinnett
Garrett Bartus pitched a 42 save shutout, as the Evansville IceMen topped the Gwinnett Gladiators on a New year
10:23PM ( 1 year ago )
Gator Bowl Preview Capsule
A rematch of last year's Capital One Bowl, which Georgia won 45-31 in Orlando.
8:52PM ( 1 year ago )
Millsap's 34 leads Hawks past Celtics
Paul Millsap had season highs with 34 points and 15 rebounds as the Hawks rallied from an 18-point deficit for a 92-91 win over the Boston Celtics on Tuesday afternoon.
7:44PM ( 1 year ago )
No. 19 Georgia blows past Illinois
Shacobia Barbee had 17 points, eight rebounds and six assists to lead No. 19 Georgia over Illinois 82-60 on Saturday.
10:42PM ( 1 year ago )
Dogs will face Nebraska without standout DE Moss
Nebraska defensive end Avery Moss returned to his home in Arizona to attend to a personal issue and won't play in the Gator Bowl against No. 23 Georgia next week.
10:16PM ( 1 year ago )
Georgia Southern coach Monken headed for Army
Desperate to snap its long losing streak against its archrival, Army has hired former Navy assistant Jeff Monken as its 37th football coach.
1:04PM ( 1 year ago )
College Sports
Run game, defense helps Dogs seal victory over Jackets, 9-win campaign
Mark Richt trotted over to a corner of Bobby Dodd Stadium, where the Georgia band played and the red-clad faithful had nothing but cheers for the embattled coach.
Watson puts up 4 TDs and No. 1 Clemson moves to 12-0 with 37-32 win over South Carolina
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Deshaun Watson isn't giving up on Clemson's step-by-step approach, not when it's worked so well.Watson had another big day, running for three touchdowns and passing for a fourth...
PLAYOFFS: Three goes into four, as area trio earn semifinal berths
Once the dust settled on Friday night, northeast Georgia found three teams still standing in the state football playoffs -- and it was so nearly four...
(VIDEO) Class AAAA: Buford stomps into ninth straight state semifinal
Were it any other team the number alone would seem absurd, but Buford football could care less about numbers at this time of year -- at least any number but "one."
By AccessWDUN Staff
(VIDEO) Class AAAAAA: Mill Creek routs Archer to advance to first semifinals
Mill Creek used a dominating defensive performance to whip Archer 23-0 and advance to its first-ever semifinals in a Class AAAAAA quarterfinal matchup Friday night at Mill Creek Community Stadium.