GAINESVILLE - Gainesville fire officials were visiting people in the Banks Street neighborhood Monday afternoon, educating them on fire safety and smoke detectors.
There apparently were no smoke detectors inside a home that burned over the weekend, resulting in serious burns to a seven-year-old boy.
City Fire Marshal Chad Payne said it's the time of year where their residential call volume increases.
"You're using the heating elements, people are using their furnaces that they haven't used all year, and this is the time they find out something is wrong with the heater or it's not working properly," Payne said.
Payne said officials hoped to reach 30 or so homes in the area, checking on smoke detectors.
"If we can get 30, we'll go for 30. If we can get 15, we'll go for 15. If we get one, we get one, because we really believe in the program and that's going to help the neighborhood. (It will) hopefully save a life," Payne said.
The boy was burned on his face and arms before police officers were able to rescue him from the burning house Saturday morning.
NOTE: Gainesville Fire Capt. Keith Smith said Monday night that crews had visited 30 homes and installed 29 smoke detectors (some multiple installations), and one carbon monoxide detector. In addition, fire educators replaced five batteries in existing smoke detectors in the neighborhood.