GAINESVILLE - Firefighters with the Hall County Fire Department were called the scene of a house fire in the 3700-block of Hardy Road Thursday afternoon.
According to Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle, emergency crews were dispatched to the residence near Nancy Creek Road around 5 p.m. after receiving a call from a passerby who happened upon the fire.
"Firefighters arrived on the scene and found a 3,000-sq. ft. structure with heavy fire and smoke showing from what appeared to be the garage, at first," he said.
The occupants of the home did not suffer any injuries, and Cagle said that all were able to make it out of the home quickly.
"Actually, they didn't even know their house was on fire until another passerby stopped, started banging on their doors and windows, to notify them to exit the structure," said Cagle.
Firefighters were able to bring the blaze fully under control after about 45 minutes. Cagle said the house suffered moderate damage in the fire, with a total damage estimate in the range of $15,000-20,000.
Following a short investigation, it appears that the fire was accidental in nature. Cagle said officials believe the fire originated in a plastic bucket resting against one of the home's outer walls adding, "it...spread into the attic due to the brisk, windy conditions at the time of the fire."
Cagle said that the residents have been temporarily displaced as a result of the damage and will be staying with a relative overnight.