LAKE LANIER - One man sustained second degree burns to his hands and legs when a 24-foot sailboat he was working on caught fire Wednesday evening at Sunrise Cove Marina just off Flat Creek Road on Lake Lanier.
According to Hall County Fire Marshal Scott Cagle, the man--who hasn't been identified--was working on the boat's carburetor when "either an explosion happened or it caught fire.
"The mechanic then jumped in the water to put the fire out, but sustained second-degree burns," Cagle said.
It was initially thought by authorities that the boat was struck by lightening because there were no witnesses and no one inside the boat when they arrived on the scene and found the apparatus around 75 percent involved in flames.
It came to light after speaking with the boat's owner that the mechanic was working on the carburetor and taking old gas that was in a tank out of the boat.
The burn victim was initially taken to Northeast Georgia Medical Center by an uncle, according to Cagle, but has since been airlifted to the burn unit at Grady Memorial in Atlanta for treatment.