clear
Sunday August 28th, 2016 8:07AM

Plan under way for gas monitors in Atlanta schools

By The Associated Press
ATLANTA (AP) -- Carbon monoxide detectors will be placed in an Atlanta elementary school where dozens of students were sickened after two workers failed to reopen a boiler valve, officials said Thursday. City of Gainesville school officials said Wednesday they were planning to add the monitors to their schools. (See separate story.)

Georgia law does not require the detectors in schools, but Atlanta Public Schools is planning to install them district-wide, associate superintendent Steve Smith said at a Thursday news conference.

Meanwhile, administrators said it appears the leak was caused by human error, not an equipment failure. More than 40 students and several adults at Finch Elementary School were treated at hospitals after Monday's leak.

Two maintenance workers serviced the boiler identified as the leak source at the southwest Atlanta school just days before the leak, Superintendent Erroll Davis said. Officials said the leak occurred after they failed to reopen a valve after doing the work on Friday.

Neither of those workers initially came forward. Officials learned the two employees had been working on the boiler after reviewing video tapes.

"To say that I'm disappointed in this behavior would be an understatement," Davis said. "We have now launched a full investigation of that. We hold our employees to the highest ethical standards and we intend to address these issues swiftly."

The old boiler has been removed from the school, and a temporary one has been put in place in hopes of allowing the school to reopen soon.

It wasn't immediately clear when students would be allowed to return to the school, which still has to be cleared by the fire department.

Students have been attending class at a nearby middle school since the leak.
© Copyright 2016 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.