WINDER - Barrow County firefighters were using a morning house fire Wednesday to remind people to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected.
According to Fire Lt. Scott Dakin, the fire started in one of the chimneys of the over 100 year old house in the 300 block of Carl Bethlehem Road. Responders got the call around 3:52 a.m.
Heavy smoke and fire were coming from the roof and rear windows of the house when firefighters arrived. The house sustained heavy damage and displaced a family of four.
In addition to maintaining chimneys and fireplaces, Dakin said it's important to be careful when discarding ashes.
"When cleaning their fireplaces after using them, they need to keep in mind that the ashes can be hot for several days and will need to be disposed of properly," Dakin said.