clear
Monday October 23rd, 2017 4:33PM

3 people escape small fire at Gainesville home

By Katie Crumley
GAINESVILLE - There were no working smoke detectors inside a home on Etta Vista Circle in Gainesville when it caught fire Monday morning.

Gainesville Fire Chief Jon Canada said the three people who lived there were already awake when the fire started around 8:30 a.m., which is probably why it caused so little damage.

"We're placing the damage assessment at approximately $3,000," he said.

Canada said the fire started in the furnace in the basement of the 1,200-square-foot home off Thompson Bridge Road.

He said the incident is a good reminder for homeowners to install smoke detectors and make sure they are working properly.

"Had someone not have been up and alert and awake and smelled the smoke, this could have been a different story if they had been sleeping and not smelled the smoke," said Canada.

He said the American Red Cross has been called in to assist the residents.
© Copyright 2017 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.