Tuesday October 6th, 2015 10:51AM

Braves' McDowell returns from 2-week suspension

ATLANTA -- His eyes red and voice wavering, Roger McDowell returned as the Braves' pitching coach Friday and apologized for his crude conduct that led to a suspension. He spent a "very humbling" two weeks away from the game and promised there will be no repeat of such actions.

"I've always said this is the best office in the world," McDowell said, before pausing to gather himself. "When I put the uniform back on I felt how fortunate I am to be able to put this uniform on and represent the organization."

McDowell apologized in his statement "to anyone who was offended by my actions" and answered questions.

"I am not proud of the way I acted and I know that it will not happen again," he said.

McDowell had issued an apology in a statement following the April 23 confrontation but had made no further comment before Friday. He was accompanied by Braves President John Schuerholz, who noted in a statement the coach has "acknowledged and apologized for his behavior of a couple weeks ago."

The suspension by Major League Baseball came after a fan made McDowell's actions public. Justin Quinn was at the Braves-Giants game in San Francisco with his wife and 9-year-old twin daughters. He said he saw McDowell ask three men, "Are you guys a homo couple or a threesome?"

Quinn said the coach made lewd sexual gestures with his hips and a bat. Quinn said he shouted, "Hey there are kids out here." According to Quinn, McDowell said kids don't belong at a baseball park, picked up a bat, walked up to Quinn and asked him, "How much are your teeth worth?"

McDowell said he has apologized to Quinn's family and is in sensitivity training.

"These past two weeks have been very humbling, emotional and a reflective time for me and my family to better understand what has happened," McDowell said. "I have and will continue to learn from this and have committed to being a productive member of the Atlanta Braves organization and to this coaching staff."

He declined the chance to give his version of events.

"My feeling is that this is something that I've learned from," he said. "What happened, the volleying of what was said or what was done or what was not said and done, I don't think is something that needs to be rehashed because I don't think it's productive in any aspect."

When the suspension was announced May 1, Quinn's attorney, Gloria Allred, said the discipline showed that MLB "believes that homophobic slurs, sexually lewd conduct and threatening behavior by coaches or any other person employed at a game in the major league will not be tolerated."

McDowell was not paid during his suspension. He said he has tracked Braves games on TV but had no contact with the pitchers.

"That's been the difficult part," he said. "But I understand the reason behind it and I accept and apologize for all of my actions that brought us to this point," he said.

Braves minor league pitching coordinator Dave Wallace filled in for McDowell during the suspension.
© Copyright 2015
Utah comes back, beats GaTech 30-27 in OT Sun Bowl
John White plowed into the end zone from 8 yards out to give Utah a 30-27 overtime victory against Georgia Tech in the Sun Bowl on Saturday.

6:30PM ( 3 years ago )
Girls basketball: East Hall wins McDonald's Shootout title
The East Hall girls basketball team followed up its Lanierland title by winning the McDonald's Shootout Friday. The Lady Vikings beat Elbert County 50-35 in the championship game at the Hart County gym.
6:43AM ( 3 years ago )
Hawks win second straight, drop Wizards
Through two games, the Atlanta Hawks have not trailed, they've displayed impressive scoring balance and they've won in back-to-back days by a combined margin of 54 points.
12:14AM ( 3 years ago )
Williams leads Hawks past Nets in opener
Marvin Williams had 14 points and nine rebounds and the Atlanta Hawks opened a double-digit lead early and cruised to a 106-70 victory over the sluggish Nets on Tuesday night in their final home opener in New Jersey.
10:24PM ( 3 years ago )
Smith takes little delight in making playoffs
Coach Mike Smith has led the Atlanta Falcons to the playoffs in three of his four seasons. Right now, he couldn't care less.
9:29PM ( 3 years ago )
Professional Sports
Region title deciders on the line? Could well be the case for Friday
We’re past the halfway point in the season, so it’s no wonder that this week brings with it a handful of contests that could well decide the destiny of a region crown and/or playoff positioning this weekend.
4:40PM ( 5 hours from now )
Softball: Region tournaments finally back in action after rainouts
The weather has been as big a story as the teams themselves as region tournaments to fill the girls state softball brackets have been postponed twice in the last week due to rain.
12:18PM ( 1 hour from now )
Quinn getting message of starting fast through to Falcons
Coach Dan Quinn has been trying to get the Atlanta Falcons to start games fast...
11:09AM ( 17 minutes from now )
Hart says Braves 'will be better' following 67-win finish
The last time the Atlanta Braves finished below 70 wins was 1990, when they were in a rebuilding process based on pitching...
9:59AM ( 52 minutes ago )
Georgia adds state-of-the-art cryotherapy chamber
The University of Georgia Athletic Association will give its student-athletes a competitive advantage by offering access to a new state-of-the-art whole body cryotherapy chamber from Atlanta-based Impact Cryotherapy, a national leader in designing and manufacturing whole body cryotherapy systems.
By UGA Sports Communications