clear
Tuesday September 27th, 2016 8:07AM

Ammonia leak at poultry plant

By Ken Stanford Reporter
GAINESVILLE - No injuries were reported during an ammonia leak at Pro View Foods in Gainesville Tuesday night.

Hall County Fire Chief says the call came in about 8:00 from people who live nearby in a nearby mobile home park who had noticed a strong odor of ammonia.

Kimbrell said the poultry processing plant - in the Highland Terrace area - was evacuated because of the incident but that the fans in the building had pushed most of the contaminated air out into the surrounding areas.

He says the cause of the leak was probably a malfunctioning relief valve.

Kimbrell said he did not believe the incident was caused by the storms that struck the area about the time of the leak but he said it is possible that a power surge resulting from the storms could have triggered it.
© Copyright 2016 AccessWDUN.com
All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.